I am delighted that FocusCore has been entrusted with the search for a new CEO for International China Concern, a development organisation that is doing amazing work in mainland China. I shall be handling this search personally and am happy to share the full job description below. To apply, click here or email me at email@example.com for a confidential discussion.
Position Title: Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: International Board Chair (Direct) and Founder (Indirect)
Location: Hong Kong
The Organisation and Our Mission
International China Concern (ICC) is a Christian development organisation that changes lives by bringing Love, Hope and Opportunity to China’s abandoned and disabled children and young adults.
Our vision is to — Give Life, End Abandonment and Share Values — and we seek to do this by providing family-style, community-based homes that provide both loving care and relevant support services and opportunities to bring ‘fullness of life’ to those in our care. We aim to end abandonment by supporting families of children with disabilities through our Community Outreach Projects and we aim to share our values and heart by generously sharing our knowledge and experience with other organisations caring for children with disabilities in China.
International China Concern has two complimentary spheres of operation, one that directly serves the children and young adults in China and the other consisting of an international network of National Offices that support the work in China by securing resources (human, financial and prayer) for the ministry. Together we form the global organisation of ICC with the shared goal of serving our ‘owners’ – the children and young adults in China.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) provides leadership for the global work of International China Concern, including all work undertaken in the National Offices and China. The CEO works on behalf of the International Board to set the direction and create the roadmap to achieve the Board defined ‘Ends Statement,’ while working within the Executive Limitations as defined by the International Board. The CEO is appointed by and reports directly to the International Board. Ideally this position will be located in Hong Kong, to allow the incumbent to support both the China and the International functions.
- Oversee all operations undertaken by the global organisation, including China based functions, International support functions and National Office functions
- Ensure integration of all operational functions in order to meet the ICC Ends Statement, including ministry goals, financial budgets and reporting processes
- Implement the direction, strategies and budget as approved by the International Board, in conjunction with the ICC Leadership Team.
- Develop a 3-year rolling strategic plan that moves ICC towards achieving our vision.
- Lead the development of the annual ministry plan and ensure its consistency with the rolling strategic plan and our values
- Ensure all aspects of the ministry are aligned with our mission, vision, core values and done within the context of our defined Ministry Approaches
- Ensure strong levels of communication throughout the organisation around short term and long term plans, inspiring each part to see how their contribution is essential towards our Ends Statement
- Together with (China Business Manager), represent ICC to Government authorities in China
- Ensure all China based contracts are current and re-negotiated in a timely manner and that they support the ICC Vision and Ends Statement
Governance and Policy
- Demonstrate clear understanding of Executive Limitations, as laid down by the International Board and work within these limitations at all times
- Participate in International Board meetings and work closely with Board Chair to create board agendas and provide the level of communication required to satisfy ICC board governance requirements
- Ensure all board decisions are implemented in a timely manner that scheduled reporting to the board occurs within agreed time frames
- In conjunction with ICC Leadership Team, provide yearly ministry summary and annual ministry plan and budget to the board for ratification/approval
- Ensure all governance and compliance requirements are achieved and prevent any legal exposure across the organisation.
- Adhere to the policies outlined in the ICC policy manual
- Operate within a staff empowerment model and create a culture of excellence that supports the ICC vision and mission
- Ensure a philosophy of mentorship, leadership development, succession planning and performance review exists throughout the organisation
- Directly lead, support and mentor the Regional Directors and ICC Leadership team (as per organisational chart) to allow them to be successful in their roles
- Foster good relationships and understanding between International Board, National Office boards, International support functions and China staff in order to maintain a ‘One Organisation’ view.
- Maintain a strong relationship with the International Board via the Board Chair and with the Founder
- In conjunction with the Founder and Pastoral Care Director, create spiritual initiatives that foster spiritual growth throughout all levels of the organisation
- Foster an environment where Christ is the centre of all we do and each part of the organisation is actively participating in prayer for each other and the children we serve
Finance and Fundraising
- Work with the CFO and ICC Leadership Team to ensure development of annual budgets and ensure a system of monthly financial reporting is in place
- Recommend the yearly budget for board approval and prudently manage the organisations resources within budget guidelines and according to current laws and regulations
- Regularly review resources and systems to ensure sufficient financial support is in place to support the strategic plan
- Ensure annual and surplus funding targets are reached by initiating vibrant global initiatives
- Identify opportunities for development and growth
- Work with Regional Directors and Director of Communications to create new fundraising and development initiatives to meet yearly budget and grow the funding base
- Work with the Regional Directors to develop an annual fund raising strategy, with clearly articulated and integrated plans for roll out.
- Support the China Business Manager in the effective functioning of the China National Office
- Direct: International Board via Board Chair
- Indirect: Founder